First State Bank of the Florida Keys encourages buyers to consider these tips for gift card giving:
“Gift cards are a convenient and useful financial tool,” explained First State Bank of the Florida Keys Executive Vice President, Tony Romano. “Like other financial tools, consumers can get better mileage from gift cards if they are educated on how to use them.”
- Buy gift cards only from reputable retailers.
- Understand the policies and fees before purchasing.
- Check for an expiration date before you buy.
- Be sure the store cashier scans the gift card in front of you.
- Keep the original receipt and write down any toll-free information numbers.
- Carefully examine the card before you buy it and avoid cards that look suspicious.
- Personal information is not needed to obtain a gift card and should not be given.
- Find out if the gift card can be used anywhere, or just the store in which it was purchased.
- Consumers that receive gift cards should plan to spend them within the first year.
- Remember to keep them in a secure place.
Return to News